Recipe by WiGal
A "secret" recipe that my aunt gave my mother in 1983. My aunt was the kind of person who was a good cook but would hide her recipes from other women. Am guessing at how many puffs you might get from this. Mom says this is really good and popular with her lady friends.
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons cooking sherry (optional)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup zucchini, peeling on shredded drained
- 3 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice, guessing so start with 1 tablespoon
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oil into large frying pan and heat to 370 degrees.
- In large bowl, beat eggs well, add both sugars, cream together thoroughly, add melted butter, milk, sherry, vanilla, and zest.
- Stir in zucchini into same bowl as above.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- Take about a teaspoon of dough, gently drop it into hot oil, and fry for about 1 minute per side. (Mom does about 18 at a time, but it depends upon the surface area of your frying pan.).
- Drain on paper toweling.
- Make a thin glaze by combining powdered sugar with a tablespoon of orange juice and keep adding orange juice until you think it is right.