Recipe by KLHquilts
The fennel makes all the difference!
Top Review by bmxmama
This is an outstanding Quiche. I've never had a crustless quiche so I was a little curious. I thought I had fennel seed but I was wrong, so it went without it and tasted fine, I'm sure it'd be fantastic with the fennel seeds in it. I also hate swiss cheese so I used a little extra parmesan and colby cheese. It was fantastic! I'm sure I'll make this one again.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (Progresso seasoned crumbs are good)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 3 medium zucchini, diced (large dice)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fennel seed
- salt and pepper
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1⁄4 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375. Using half the butter, grease a pie plate and coat with bread crumbs.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet. Add onion and garlic and saute for 10 minutes. Add dice dtomatoes and saute another 5 minutes. Raise heat to high; mix in zucchini, fennel seed, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until zucchini is just tender (no more than five minutes).
- Remove from heat and cool for five minutes.
- Beat eggs. Stir in milk, then add the cooled zucchini mixture to it. Pour half the mixture into pie plate, layer all fo the Swiss cheese, then pour on remaining vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan. Dab top with remaining butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until top is golden brown. Let stand five minutes before serving.