Recipe by Sharon123
The crust is made from shredded sauteed zucchini, and filled with a luscious tomato basil cheese filling. Try this! This is a Giada recipe from Everyday Italian.
Top Review by Kittencal@recipezazz
I was searching for good recipes to use up my huge overload of garden zucchini and I'm glad I chose this one to make, it is wonderful! the only change I made was I added in fresh garlic with the zucchini and scallions, I also added in some cayenne pepper for some heat, thanks for a great recipe I will make again Sharon!
- 2 lbs zucchini, shredded (about 6 medium zukes)
- 1 bunch scallion, thinly sliced (use white and green parts)
- 1⁄4 cup fine dry breadcrumb, plus
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper
- 1 egg, beaten
- 6 ounces shredded Fontina cheese, divided
- 1 medium tomatoes, quartered,thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed slivered fresh basil leaf
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus
- more extra virgin olive oil, for the pan
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the zucchini and scallions in a large sauté pan.
- Cook over high heat, stirring frquently, until the zucchini shrinks, about 6 minutes.
- Drain in a colander.
- Press out excess water with a large spoon.
- Return the zucchini and scallions to the pan.
- Add 1/4 cup bread crumbs and 1/2 teaspoon each salt annd pepper.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, tossing frquently.
- Add the egg; toss.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Coat a 9-inch pie pan with oil.
- Press the zucchini mixture into the bottom and up the sides, but not over the lip, of the pan.
- This"crust" is very thick.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until golden.
- Remove and sprinkle with 1/2 cup Fontina.
- Top with the tomato slices, overlapping slightly if necessary.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Cover with 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, the basil, the olive oil and the remaining cup of Fontina.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F Bake for 30 minutes, or until the cheese is well browned.
- Allow to sit for at least 10 minutes before cutting.