Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Tastes like Apple Crisp, people will not believe it is zucchini. Great way to use those hugh over grown zucchini that are in the garden.
- 12 cups zucchini, seeded, peeled, sliced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon, plus
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon, for later
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
CRUST MIXTURE AS FOLLOWS
- 3 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup butter, soften
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. remove seeds and peel. cut zucchini halves into slices like an apple. in large pot, simmer sliced zucchini in lemon juice until tender.
- combine crust ingredients in large bowl, mix till crumbly.
- add sugar, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and nutmeg to tender zucchini mixture. stir. then add 1/2 cup of the "crust mixture." continue to simmer till thick. let cool.
- pat 1/2 of the crust mixture into a lightly greased 13 x 9 pan. bake at 350 for 10 minutes.
- spread the zucchini mixture over the crust. add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon to remaining crust mixture, and sprinkle this over the zucchini mixture.
- bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
I also have an abundance of zucchini in my yard so this was perfect. I just made it for a dinner party and it was a huge hit - really does taste similar to apple crisp! I actually replaced the cinnamon with Pumpkin Spice, which came in a spice jar and is a mixture of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, lemon peel, cloves and cardamom. I'm just not enough of a fan of cinnamon only so this was a really nice mixture and came out great! We also served it warm right out of the oven, with vanilla ice cream. Yum!
This is a great recipe. I have a TON of huge zucchini coming from my garden and I have made this twice now and have not found one person that didn't like it. I took it to work with me and just about everyone wanted the recipe. If you like apple crisp you will LOVE this too!