Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is from "A Passion for Preserves". It tastes like lemon curd and has the texture of apple butter. Absolutley delicious! I'm going to try making lime and orange versions of this recipe.
- Cut off stem and blossom ends of the zucchini and peel. (Remove all the green for a prettier color at the end). If the zucchini are very large, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. If small, leave whole. (I cut the zucchini into chunks at this point).
- Boil in a small quantity of water until tender OR you may microwave in a covered dish until tender, about 10 minutes. In either case, drain well, then mash or process to a smooth pulp.
- Cook in the top of a double boiler over hot water with sugar, butter, lemon juice and zest. Stir frequently, until thick and creamy, about 15 minutes.
- Ladle into hot sterilized jars, leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims clean, put lids and rings in place and tighten down.
- Invert jars for a few minutes, then return to upright and cool completely. Check seals, label and store in cool, dry place.
- Note: It took 30 minutes for my batch to cook down. I processed my jars in a hot water bath for 5 minutes.
Finding myself with an overage of both zucchini AND lemons, this recipe comes to the rescue. Can't wait to taste the results! Edited to add: WOW!!! Worth the cost of the butter and sugar NO DOUBT! I put some in gift-giving sized jars and bigger jars for us to keep. Beautiful color (I took the advice and peeled them but wouldn't if I was making lime flavored) and wonderful taste! Thanks
I literally just stepped out of the kitchen from making this. I am in LOVE already! I canned the 3 half pints and had about 1/3 cup leftover to eat NOW. lol It's fabulous! I will be making more to give as gifts. I can easily see using it as part of a cookie or lemon bar recipe!
This is great! I did it with orange but am making more one batch with lemon and another with lime. Thanks for sharing this one. I enjoy it on buttered toast, and plan to mix with cream cheese to put on nut breads durring the festive season. thanks so much, way easier then making lemon curd.