Recipe by amie atwood
I am a vegetarian but I miss seafood like crazy. I used to make great crab cakes and now have made this veggie version. Manipulate it to your likings. Enjoy.
- 2 large zucchini, grated
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese (room temp.)
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 2⁄3-1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1 -1 1⁄2 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 egg
- oil (for frying)
- breadcrumbs or flour (for dredging)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grate zucchini and squeeze dry.
- Melt butter over medium heat and add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Remove onion and bell pepper from heat and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine zucchini, cream cheese, Old bay seasoning, egg and bread crumbs.
- Mix in the onions and bell pepper including any butter from the pan.
- At this point if you feel your mix is too wet you can add a little more bread crumbs, do not add too much because it will reflect in the flavor of the cakes.
- Place the entire mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours if you have the time. This allows the mixture to bind and it makes it easier to handle the patties. If you do not have the time, do not worry, just coat your hands in flour when making the patties.
- Once you are ready to make the patties just grab a glob (1/3 C) shape into a ball, dredge in flour or bread crumbs (that is entirely up to you) and then fry in about an inch of oil, flattening them with your spatula, until golden brown.