Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
My grandmother and I came up with this recipe when I was about 15. I liked to cook and she loved showing me new things. We wanted something different and these ingredients we just happened to have in the house or garden. We were both totally suprised at how great it really was. It quickly became a family favorite.
- 6 -8 zucchini
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 6 -8 mushrooms (sliced)
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated cheese (I like sharp cheddar, swiss or tasty)
- Peel zucchini if very large and slice.
- Dice onion.
- Cook both in salty water till zucchini slices are soft but not mushy.
- Butter bottom and sides of casserole dish.
- Pour in bread crumbs and swirl around till butter is coated.
- Bottom should have a heavier layer on it.
- Drain zucchini and onion thouroughly.
- Place in casserole dish on top of bread crumbs
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste.
- Cover with mushrooms and pour soup over the dish.
- Sprinkle on grated cheese.
- Cook at 320F degrees (160 C) till cheese melted.
Really really good! I used 4 zucchinis, 10 mushrooms (sauteed them with the onions first) and 1 cup of bread crumbs to which i added 1/8 tsp oregano, garlic powder, salt and pepper. I also put some ground beef (prepared before taco style 1/2 lb) in between the zucchini and mushroom layer. I used 1/2 swiss and 1/2 cheddar. Delish! My husband loved this dish.