Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A nice easy side dish to prepare, goes great with just about anything. I have even had this for a main dish, with a nice crispy salad.
- In a large pan, cook bacon just until fat begins to render and bacon softens.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook until onion is tender.
- Place some zucchini in a single layer across the bottom of pan.
- Top with some tomatoes.
- Repeat layering until all vegetables are in the pan.
- Simmer, covered, on medium-low heat, for 5-10 minutes, then turn vegetables with spatula to brown and cook the other side.
- Top vegetables with marinara sauce and cheeses, and continue to cook, covered, for 5-10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender and cheese is melted.
Very tasty little dish sashaying around the plate! I used bacon grease rendered earlier (and frozen), so didn't have the FULL flavor I'd expect if I'd've had bacon in the dish. And I didn't have tomatoes--I know DH would've loved it even more if I had used them. I used two larger squashes: one green zucchini and one yellow crookneck--very pretty! Nice side-dish, and with meat I can see how this could be a main dish. Reminds me of Eggplant Parmigiana! *ZWT4 - Italy*