Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
Family recipe featuring a moist cake with a "secret" ingredient from the exploding garden and a baked on topping to make it look & taste even better. Goest together lickety-split, too!
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 1⁄2 cup oil or 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 cups grated zucchini or 2 cups summer squash
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 13x9 cake or Bundt pan.
- Cream first five ingredients.
- Mix milk and baking soda in a measuring cup. Add to butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, sift or stir next five ingredients, and add to egg and milk mixture.
- Beat until smooth, then stir in zucchini. Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle brown sugar and chocolate chips over the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.
I love to use this recipe for those oversize zucchini squash I can't use elsewhere. I peel, split them, scoop out the seeds, grate and add to the recipe. A version of this recipe came to me from my mother-in-law and I treasure it. I love chocolate more than sweets and this recipe fills the bill with it's rich moist chocolate taste. Besides, it's fun to serve the kids a cake and later explain that they have done a good job eating their vegetables!