Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is from TOH. I like the fact that it's a great way to use all the zucchini from my garden. DH and kids don't let it last long around our house. This is one of those recipes where I usually dump all ingredients in large bowl and mix instead of following the directions below. It's just the way I am.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup sour milk
- 2 cups shredded peeled zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter, oil and sugar.
- Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Combine dry ingredients; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk. Mix well.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan.
- Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
I made this with zucchini from my garden. I enjoyed making the cake from scratch-interesting ingredients. It was a little drier than I thought it would be - so I'm thinking it was either my zucchini or because I cooked it in a convection oven. But DS eats a slice every day - even though he knows there's zucchini in it. Made for the June 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.