Recipe by Tugar357
This is a cake my late mother used to make. I can say that it's one of the best ever chocolate cakes. Very moist.
Top Review by theytoldmesew
The recipe needs to be re-written. The ingreds call for applesauce, but there is no mention in the directions when or how to add it. Also, adding melted chocolate to a mixture containing raw eggs could scramble the eggs. I would suggest adding the melted chocolate to the sugar first and then adding softened butter before the eggs go in...which is when I would add the applesauce. I made this last night for a friends birthday get-together...so still not sure how it tastes.
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 2 cups zucchini, grated
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray a 10 inch tube or Bundt pan with nonstick spray, set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar together. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each.
- Stir in chocolate, vanilla. orange peel, and milk. Fold in zucchini.
- In a medium bowl, add the next 5 ingredients, then add to zucchini mixture. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour until fork or toothpick comes clean. Cool 10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.