Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My Mom used to make this dish with fresh corn kernels, too. We always enjoyed this dish very much as children and asked her for more. Hope you enjoy it as we did.
- 2 medium zucchini, fresh cut in 1/4 slices (or chunks)
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml brown rice, pre-cooked, instant
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in one cup hot water (or add a little more water if needed)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 118.29 ml corn kernel (fresh or canned) (optional)
- 236.59 ml salsa, jarred with tomatoes, onions and chiles
- Add salt and pepper to chicken thighs and cook until browned for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked, instant brown rice and chicken broth, (or bouillon cubes already dissolved in the water), and chopped garlic.
- Cover and let it simmer in low heat, until rice has absorbed the chicken broth liquid.
- Add zucchini slices (or chunks), corn kernels if you like, and jarred salsa.
- Continue simmering a few more minutes until flavors blend and zucchini is cooked, crispy tender but not over cooked.
- UPDATE NOTE: Thanks to Tinkerbell and CJAY for your suggestions about the brown rice cooking time. I made this recipe using "Success" instant, pre-cooked brown rice according with the package directions for microwave cooking this time, and this dish was done faster and easier than with the regular brown rice taking longer to absorb the liquid. I also added 1 chopped garlic clove to add flavor and it was very good.
- Thanks for your reviews, photos and suggestions.
Great recipe! I used instant brown rice in this because when I saw the cooking time I knew the regular rice was going to be a problem. It came out great. I really like how easy this is to make and how few ingredients it takes. Good luck in the contest.
This recipe is super easy, just a few ingredients and I can definitely see us making it again in the future because the taste was fabulous! Made exactly as directed, except for the timing. After 30 minutes of hard simmer the rice was still not cooked. The chicken was beginning to over-cook, so I took a chance and added the salsa and zucchini. I cooked everything for another 20 minutes, but in the end the rice still wasn't done. We're really glad we tried this recipe so next time I think I'll just pre-cook the rice. Thank you for sharing your creation, and good luck in the contest! :D
It was easy but turned out as more of a stew than casserole. I used fresh ingredients for red salsa (just chopped tomatoes, onions, peppers into cubes) Also, precooked brown rice in bags. The outcome tastes good. I served it with toasts sourdough and ginger ale.