My Mom used to make this dish with fresh corn kernels, too. We always enjoyed this dish very much as children and asked her for more. Hope you enjoy it as we did.
- 2 medium zucchini, fresh cut in 1/4 slices (or chunks)
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, pre-cooked, instant
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in one cup hot water (or add a little more water if needed)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel (fresh or canned) (optional)
- 1 cup salsa, jarred with tomatoes, onions and chiles
- Add salt and pepper to chicken thighs and cook until browned for about 10-15 minutes.
- Add pre-cooked, instant brown rice and chicken broth, (or bouillon cubes already dissolved in the water), and chopped garlic.
- Cover and let it simmer in low heat, until rice has absorbed the chicken broth liquid.
- Add zucchini slices (or chunks), corn kernels if you like, and jarred salsa.
- Continue simmering a few more minutes until flavors blend and zucchini is cooked, crispy tender but not over cooked.
- UPDATE NOTE: Thanks to Tinkerbell and CJAY for your suggestions about the brown rice cooking time. I made this recipe using "Success" instant, pre-cooked brown rice according with the package directions for microwave cooking this time, and this dish was done faster and easier than with the regular brown rice taking longer to absorb the liquid. I also added 1 chopped garlic clove to add flavor and it was very good.
- Thanks for your reviews, photos and suggestions.