1/2 Photos of Zucchini, Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole
pink cook's Note:
My Mom used to make this dish with fresh corn kernels, too. We always enjoyed this dish very much as children and asked her for more. Hope you enjoy it as we did.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium zucchini, fresh cut in 1/4 slices (or chunks)
- 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup brown rice, pre-cooked, instant
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes, dissolved in one cup hot water (or add a little more water if needed)
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1/2 cup corn kernel (fresh or canned) (optional)
- 1 cup salsa, jarred with tomatoes, onions and chiles
- 1Add salt and pepper to chicken thighs and cook until browned for about 10-15 minutes.
- 2Add pre-cooked, instant brown rice and chicken broth, (or bouillon cubes already dissolved in the water), and chopped garlic.
- 3Cover and let it simmer in low heat, until rice has absorbed the chicken broth liquid.
- 4Add zucchini slices (or chunks), corn kernels if you like, and jarred salsa.
- 5Continue simmering a few more minutes until flavors blend and zucchini is cooked, crispy tender but not over cooked.
- 6UPDATE NOTE: Thanks to Tinkerbell and CJAY for your suggestions about the brown rice cooking time. I made this recipe using "Success" instant, pre-cooked brown rice according with the package directions for microwave cooking this time, and this dish was done faster and easier than with the regular brown rice taking longer to absorb the liquid. I also added 1 chopped garlic clove to add flavor and it was very good.
- 7Thanks for your reviews, photos and suggestions.
Browse Our Top Low In... Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Low In... Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini, Chicken and Brown Rice Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (347 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 410.0
- Calories from Fat 147
- Total Fat 16.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 79.2 mg
- Sodium 948.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 5.1 g
- Protein 22.4 g