Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
This has been a long time family favorite!
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced (6 cups)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs, divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 13x9, or smaller.
- Cook zucchini in a small amount of water until tender, about 15 mins; drain and sprinkle with salt.
- Lightly beat egg yolks; mix with sour cream and flour.
- Beat egg whites until stiff; fold in sour cream mixture.
- In a baking dish, layer half of the zucchini, half of the sour cream mixture, and half of the cheese; sprinkle with bacon.
- Repeat layers of zucchini, sour cream mixture, and cheese.
- Combine crumbs with butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered for 20-25 minutes.
Very tasty, if a bit more labour-intensive than I care for in a veggie side dish. The extra work did result in a very nicely-flavoured dish, with the sour cream layer nearly soufflee-like between the layers of zucchini and cheese. Definitely make for a special occassion.