The recipe for these tasty little critters was found in Taste of Home's Fall Baking Cookbook, 2009. [NOTE: This recipe was edited on 19 Nov 2009 to include the draining or patting dry of the shredded zucchini!]
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 2 1⁄2 cups biscuit mix
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, shredded (& drained or patted dry between paper towels)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (about 4 ounces)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F & grease a large baking sheet.
- In a large skillet, saute the onion in butter until tender.
- In a large bowl, combine biscuit mix, parsley, basil, thyme & onion mixture.
- Stir in eggs & milk just until combined, then stir in zucchini & cheese.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls, 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 10 to 14 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm, & if any are left over, refrigerate them!
These were really good. I love that my kids scarf them up, as they do any biscuits, not knowing that they have zucchini in them. I didn't grease my baking sheet, I just put down a layer of parchment paper. Yum.
These biscuits were pretty quick to prepare and came out beautifully. I did drain the zucchini as noted; which was a nice healthy filler. Nice, fluffy and tasty, indeed!
These little critters are yummy, indeed! DH and DS really gobbled them up, and they were perfect with Slow Cooker Salmon Chowder. I used reduced fat biscuit mix and cheese, neither of which made a major difference IMHO. One big thing, though, is that I forgot to drain the zucchini and my batter spread out and the final products were more like thick pancakes than biscuits! They were tasty regardless, but if you are going for a more traditional biscuit don't forget to drain the zucchini LOL. Made for Veg*n Swap #16.