Recipe by Manami
This is a heartier French onion soup that is packed with yummy vegetables with an Italian twist and makes a meal on its own. The aioli can be used later on for a dipping sauce with other vegetables or as a sandwich spread. Originally from Cooking Light.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cups sliced onions
- 6 ounces diagonally cut Italian bread, toasted (about 6 slices)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground coarse black pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 lb zucchini, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 3 cups)
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup red-pepper aioli
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1⁄2 cup fat-free mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (7 ounce) bottle roasted red peppers, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onion; saute 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut 2 bread slices into 1" cubes; set aside.
- Drain tomatoes in a colander over bowl, reserving 1/2 cup liquid; discard remaining liquid.
- Place tomatoes in a medium bowl.
- Stir in basil, if using, thyme, Italian seasoning, pepper and garlic.
- Place 1/2 cup onion in the bottom of a 3-qt casserole dish coated with cooking spray.
- Arrange 2 bread slices, half of the remaining onion, half of the tomato mixture, half of the zucchini, and half of the cheese over onion in dish.
- Repeat layer; top with bread cubes.
- Pour 1/4 cup reserved tomato liquid & broth.
- over casserole; if it looks like too small an amount, add the other 1/4 cup of tomato liquid.
- Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Uncover casserole and bake an additional 25 minutes or until top begins to brown.
- Spoon 2 cups casserole into each of 4 shallow bowls; top each serving with 1 tablespoon Red-Pepper Aioli.
- MAKE RED-PEPPER AIOLI:.
- Drop garlic through food chute with food processor on.
- Process until finely minced.
- Add the remaining ingredients, and process until well-combined.