Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is an old time wholesome recipe that my mother created from the bounty of our garden. I really enjoy it and my young son loves it because of the spaghetti and bacon! It isn't for finicky eaters. Just for people who enjoy a savoury wholesome meal. Some of my favourite meals come from recipes that were developed through the depression. This is one of those.
- 1 zucchini or 1 vegetable marrow
- 4 tomatoes
- 4 -5 medium potatoes
- 6 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup water
- bacon (1/2 pkg)
- 1⁄4 cup lowfat parmesan cheese
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon oregano (optional) or 1 tablespoon basil (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Grease a 9 x 12 or larger casserole dish with olive oil.
- Slice potatoes.
- Place a layer of potatoes in casserole dish.
- Season lightly with salt& pepper.
- Slice Zucchini or vegetable marrow.
- Place a layer of zucchini.
- Slice about 2 tomatoes.
- Place a layer of tomatoes.
- Season lightly.
- Sprinkle flour on tomatoes for slight thickening agent.
- Season with 1/2 oregano and 1/2 parmesan cheese to taste.
- Place on a layer of uncooked spaghetti.
- Add water.
- Repeat layers of potatoes, zucchini, tomatoes and seasonings of salt, pepper, oregano and parmesan cheese.
- Cover with a layer of bacon.
- Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes.
- Take off foil and bake another 15 minutes uncovered.
This had a pretty good taste - nice and fresh - but the spaghetti just did not work out very well for me. After cooking for the recommended time, most of the spaghetti was still un-cooked, and there was a lot of water left in the bottom of the baking pan. I covered the dish again and cooked for another 25 minutes. Still there was a lot of water in the bottom (maybe because of the zuccini and the tomatoes), but at least the spaghetti was mostly cooked. I say "mostly cooked" becuase it was completely cooked in the middle, and only about half-way cooked on the edges. Next time, I think I will use lasgana noodles that have already been boiled. Other than that, this was a pretty good recipe. The only modification I made was to use sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes becuase I like them better. Overall, I wasn't overwhellmed by this recepie, but I'll probably make it again.
This is very delicious! The only problem was that the spaghetti was a little undercooked. I may add a little more water next time. The flavors went together very well!