This is a rich and creamy casserole. We serve it every Christmas eve as it is a great side with beef, ham, or turkey. Real comfort food and good year round. I don't know where this recipe originated but I got it from my mother more than 25 years ago. One important tip is to drain the zucchini well otherwise your casserole will be too watery.
- 2 lbs zucchini, sliced in rounds
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 pint sour cream (low fat works well)
- 1⁄2 lb butter (this can be reduced if desired to 1/4 lb) or 1⁄2 lb margarine (this can be reduced if desired to 1/4 lb)
- 8 ounces pepperidge farm seasoned stuffing mix
- - steam sliced zucchini on stop top until tender; then drain well in colander.
- - melt margarine and then add stuffing mix; fluff with fork and set aside,
- - combine soup, sour cream, and onions then add in drained zucchini and mix carefully to coat zucchini but not break or mush zucchini.
- - spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray; layer bottom with half zucchini mixture; then layer with half stuffing mixture; another layer of zucchini and then top with remaining stuffing. Alternatively you can use a 13x9 pan and put all zucchini on bottom and top with one layer of stuffing.
- - bake 350 degrees for approximately 35 minutes or until bubbly.