Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Its the parmesan cheese that really makes this a great veggie casserole. Use fresh zucchini when possible.
- 3 zucchini (about 8 inches long thickly sliced or chunked)
- 1 medium onions or 1 large onion, halved then quartered
- 1 bell pepper, cut in large pieces
- 28 ounces canned diced Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese (the kind in the plastic container)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (you may use a little more if u so desire)
- 1 1⁄2 cups coarsely crushed croutons or 1 1⁄2 cups seasoned croutons
- 1 dash salt
- Cut up vegetables and place in medium size pot. Add canned tomatoes, sugar, salt and margarine.cook on low to medium heat just till veggies get tender (about 20 minutes), then pour mixture into a 9x13 glass baking dish.
- Sprinkle parmesan cheese over the mixture, and then sprinkle cheddar over the parmesan.
- Next spread crushed croutons over the cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. Let stand 5 minute before serving.