Prep 20 mins
Cook 1440 hrs
My kids will tell you they hate zucchini but yet they love this casserole - go figure :)
- 4 cups chopped leftover cooked chicken or 4 cups cooked turkey
- 6 cups diced unpeeled zucchini
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 (8 ounce) container sour cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (6 ounce) package chicken flavor stuffing mix
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Combine zucchini and onion in medium pan and add water to cover.
- Bring to a boil and boil for 5 minutes, drain and cool.
- Combine carrots, soup, sour cream and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Add zucchini/onion and chicken and mix.
- Spread in buttered 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
- Topping: Melt butter in skillet, add bread stuffing and seasoning packet and toss well.
- Sprinkle stuffing over casserole and top with cheese.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour or until golden brown.
A great one dish meal and, now that I'm making breezermom's Recipe #328649 regularly, another easy to prepare and flavoursome recipe using cooked chicken which I'll be making regularly! I was so pleased that it made enough for several serves for the freezer for nights I get home just too late to feel like cooking and for several yummy take-to-work lunches. :) I added a thinly sliced leek and minced garlic (rather than the garlic powder) as well as some oregano rosemary, sage and thyme. Love onion, garlic and leek together, and always just have to include some herbs! I used low-fat sour cream which was deliciously creamy but otherwise followed the recipe exactly. Thanks for sharing yet another delicious recipe, bmcnichol! Made for ZWT 5.
I was looking for a casserole with zucchini and chicken and chose this. I'm glad I did! Everyone liked it (and the kids did NOT pick out the veggies, like they usu. try to do!) It makes a lot, so there's leftovers for lunch or whatever. I used red/yellow onions, lowfat sour cream, 3 cloves garlic. I used margarine and reduced it and left out the cheese, to reduce the fat. The toping came out a little crunchy, but still good. Will definitely keep this one! Oh, and I chopped the carrot and boiled it with the zucchini and onions. I put this into my book#234006.