Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I can't remember where I got this, but aside from some time spent shredding and chopping, it's easy to make, and almost an all-in-one-meal vegetable, protein and bread in one dish.
- 5 medium zucchini, sliced or cut in bite-size chunks (about 3 lbs.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt (less, to taste)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups soft breadcrumbs (5-7 slices)
- Saute the zucchini and onions in 2 Tbsp of the margarine until softened a little (They will soften more during the baking, so if you want the zucchini still a bit crunchy when the casserole is done, don't cook it too much at this stage).
- Place the zucchini mixture in a 2 1/2 quart casserole or a 9x13 pan that has been sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the zucchini mixture.
- Beat the eggs, together with the salt and Tabasco sauce.
- Pour over the zucchini mixture.
- Melt the remaining margarine and mix it into the bread crumbs; then sprinkle the crumbs over the zucchini mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes. Check to be sure the egg in the center is set.
- This obviously makes quite a large casserole. The recipe can be halved and the cooking time adjusted, probably to about 30-35 minutes. Also, leftovers can be reheated in the microwave, although they go a bit limp in the process.
Jo Ann, my husband does not particularly care for zucchini, but thought this recipe was delicious! I loved it too. The topping was nice and crispy and the insides were kind of like a quiche. The Tabasco was a good addition.Thanks for a 5* recipe! I served this with Leta's Creamy Corn Chowder, and a salad. Yum.
Good! I added cut carrots as well, boiled them to al dente and then mixed them with the zucchini and onion. I really enjoyed the slightly crunchy bread topping, and having the layer of cheese in betweeen :)
We really liked this recipe. We grated the zucchini instead of chopping it and added a cup of cooked rice to the onion and zucchini layer.