Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was always a favorite of our family, especially in the summer when the zucchini was coming out of our ears from the garden. This could easily be a vegetarian dish if you took out the sausage--but it's so good with it!
- 6 cups sliced zucchini (about 4 to 5 avg. size)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1⁄2 lb mild ground Italian sausage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup light sour cream
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can low-fat cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 ounce) box pork stuffing mix
- 3⁄4 cup hot water
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- (To slice zucchini, cut ends off, then cut in half lengthwise. Then, cut each half into 1/2" slices.).
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bring about a quart of boiling, salted water to a boil, add zucchini and onion, and cook for five minutes. Drain well and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fry sausage until browned, then drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine sour cream and soup. Then, add carrots, zucchini mix, and sausage, and stir well to combine.
- In another bowl, combine stuffing mix with water, and fluff with a fork.
- Grease an 11"x7" oblong baking dish with cooking spray. Layer half of stuffing mix on the bottom. Then, pour all of zucchini mix over stuffing and level it. Then, sprinkle the rest of stuffing mix over the zucchini. Top casserole with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until bubbly at the edges.
- (You can also make this dish ahead and freeze it, before baking. Just increase the baking time to 50-60 minutes.).
I liked this recipe. I did a few substitutions and an omission, because I didn't have it. I used diced carrot, greek sausage, and garlic/mushroom soup. I omitted the stuffing, because I didn't have any and at almost $3 a box I will wait. I topped with bread crumbs instead. I doubled the recipe and put into 4 small pans, we ate one with a Caesar salad, the other 3 are in the freezer.