Recipe by FrVanilla
This is good! I've never been too big of a zucchini eater, but I am addicted to this recipe. for a complete meal, add layers of diced chicken breast, ground beef or turkey. Spinach is a nice addition to the sauce/ zucchini mixture. I also mix up the cheeses I use.
Top Review by Food Snob in Israel
Excellent healthy recipe. I forgot the salt and pepper and didn't have an Italian spices so just threw in some spices (in larger quantities) from the kitchen. Also only had cheddar and mozerella cheeses and they worked fine! My 2 year old gobbled it up, you should have seen her making a mess of the kitchen with tomato sause all over her body and face and hair and clothes. SHe loved it and even asked for seconds and she is a VERY picky eater. She was also able to help in the kitchen, which was nice. I made this to go with the sweet vanilla cornbread, and it was a disaster. Perhaps a denser non sweet cornbread would have been a nice acompinant. Or garlic bread. We ate this for a main dish with the bread and this would have been fine if it weren't for the aformentioned bread fiasco. Overall, a delicious and healthy dish...a bit "stew-y" because of the liquid...but very good. Other veggies are possible to add (like carrots) but I liked the simplicity of this dish.
- 3 medium zucchini (sliced into thin circles)
- 1⁄2 medium onion (chopped)
- 4 fresh tomatoes (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄2-1 tablespoon Italian spices (or to taste)
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add zucchini, onion & garlic.
- Cover & cook until desired tenderness, about 5-10 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce & seasonings.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a square baking dish, place a layer of the zucchini mixture, then top with cheese.
- Continue layers until pan is full, ending with the remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered, in a 350 degree oven, for 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes.