Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have been making this recipe for years and years. Found it originally on a box of Mueller's pasta and it has been a hit since then. A pretty side dish to any meal - even pretty enough for guests. My daughter still requests this for her birthday dinner. It does not have a cheese sauce (see other recipes here on Zaar for that) but you do have the option of topping it with some freshly grated Parmesan cheese but we enjoy it with just a basic buttered coating more often. Hope you enjoy!
- 8 ounces fettuccine (I use whole wheat)
- 2 small zucchini, washed and trimmed
- 3 medium carrots, pared and ends trimmed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste (I don't use much at all)
- black pepper, coarsely ground, to taste
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- parmesan cheese, freshly grated (optional on each serving)
- In preparation: using a vegetable peeler, slice wide thin strips from the zucchini and carrots, slicing the full length of the vegetable. Set aside.
- Cook pasta according to package directions in a large pasta pot.
- Heat butter in a medium skillet just until melted then stir in the zucchini and carrot ribbons; cover and cook over low heat 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir once more.
- Drain prepared fettuccine and then toss it with the vegetable ribbons and the herbs.
- If desired, sprinkle top generously with Parmesan cheese after placing it in a serving dish and serving.
A deceptively simple dish, which makes an excellent quick supper! I halved the recipe and next time would just make the full amount, this is very light and very tasty, I certainly could have had more! I didn't use any salt, just a good grind of black pepper and some parmesan and chives from the garden. Really really nice, thank you HokiesLady, definitely a keeper for me! made for I Recommend tag game.
Oh, wow, this is surprisingly good! This surpassed my expectations. I succumbed to the temptation to add more butter, but really, it's not at all necessary as the 4 tablespoons combined with the liquid given off by the veggies is perfect. This is spectacular made as directed. Thanks, HokiesLady! Made for Please Review My Recipe tag game.