Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
This recipe was entered into a muffin contest. It's from taste of home. It was entered by Loretta Blaine. I think this sounds delicious! It was in the top 12.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gently toss together carrot, zucchini, apple, coconut, almonds and orange peel; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking sida and salt.
- Combine eggs, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thick). Fold in carrot mixture.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffins cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
My 1.5 yo daughter and I made these muffins. They are wonderful! I made only a half batch. I omitted the almonds and did equal parts carrot and zucchini. I decreased the oil by two tablespoons (remember I am making a half batch), and added 1 T almond butter and 1 T applesauce. I also decreased the sugar 1/2 cup instead of 3/4. Just to make give it a bit of extra nutrition power I added 3 T toasted wheat germ. YUM!
yumyumyum! I try not to rate a recipe when I have changed everything about it, but I really feel like this recipe is pretty versatile. I used what I had on hand, trying to stay as true to it as possible. (for me!) I had frozen 3 cup packages of mixed shredded squash,zucchini and carrots from last fall and was looking for a way to use them up! One of these baggies, + a finely chopped apple fit the recipe perfectly! I didn't have cinnamon but I had apple pie spice so I used that, and I did not have vegetable oil so I used melted coconut oil. I also did not have almonds so I used walnuts. I also used a mixture of all purpose and whole wheat flour. Awesome!!!! Warm from the oven, they are fantastic! We will see what happens to the texture and flavour when they are completely cooled. I reserved one star just in case they become "meh" :)
These muffins are amazing! I realized after I made them that I forgot the coconut flakes, so I'm sure they'll be even more amazing the next time I make them!