This recipe was entered into a muffin contest. It's from taste of home. It was entered by Loretta Blaine. I think this sounds delicious! It was in the top 12.
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded zucchini
- 1 cup chopped peeled apple
- 3⁄4 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 cup chopped almonds
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Gently toss together carrot, zucchini, apple, coconut, almonds and orange peel; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking sida and salt.
- Combine eggs, oil and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened (batter will be thick). Fold in carrot mixture.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffins cups two-thirds full. Bake at 375 for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes before removing to wire rack.
My 1.5 yo daughter and I made these muffins. They are wonderful! I made only a half batch. I omitted the almonds and did equal parts carrot and zucchini. I decreased the oil by two tablespoons (remember I am making a half batch), and added 1 T almond butter and 1 T applesauce. I also decreased the sugar 1/2 cup instead of 3/4. Just to make give it a bit of extra nutrition power I added 3 T toasted wheat germ. YUM!
These muffins are amazing! I realized after I made them that I forgot the coconut flakes, so I'm sure they'll be even more amazing the next time I make them!
I used half the carrots (I was a little short) & doubled the zucchini in its place; added 1 mashed banana I needed to use up & reduced the sugar by 1/4 cup. I also shredded the apple, since I was already shredding everything :) I didn't have the nuts or the orange zest this time. This yielded 12 full muffins & 1 loaf pan. They were excellent, moist & a beautiful warm brown. This is a great way to sneak in some veggies! I'll be making these again, thanks for sharing.