Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Black walnuts are a native American nut that has a strong, slightly bitter flavor. They are not always easy to find in the grocery, but you can substitute regular walnuts with equally good results. This bread can be frozen. As soon as possible after cooling, enclose bread in a plastic freezer bag, plastic wrap, or foil and seal well. Will stay fresh for two to three months. When ready to serve, simply remove the wrapped bread from the freezer and allow bread to stand, still wrapped, at room temperature until thawed. Or unwrap the bread and place on a baking sheet in a 350 F. oven for ten to fifteen minutes until thawed.
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup packed shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup shredded carrot
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped black walnuts or 1⁄2 cup regular walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter ONE-8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch pan OR three - 5 3/4 x 3 1/2 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the eggs until foamy. Add the oil, sugars and vanilla and beat at high speed until the mixture is very thick and fluffy.
- With a spoon, stir in the shredded zucchini and carrot.
- Stir the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and walnuts together in another bowl. Blend into the zucchini mixture just until the flour is no longer visible. Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan or pans.
- Bake for 1 hour for the large loaf, or 35 to 40 minutes for the smaller loaves, or until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool thoroughly. Makes 1 Large OR 3 Small loaves.
- The Great Holiday Baking Book.
This bread was so easy, and so good! This was my 1st time making a bread and I tried two recipes. This was by far the best one. Thank you for a great recipe!!! This recipe measurements made two beautiful loaves.