Recipe by cgodshall
I was looking for another way to use the surplus of zucchini from our garden, when I came across this recipe. I was surprised at how much they actually taste like crab cakes. Even my husband, who doesn't like zucchini, raved about this dish!
Top Review by Jenessa F.
Excellent, easy to follow recipe and the end result was delicious, too! These "poor man's crab cakes" really do look and smell just like crab cakes and the texture of the zucchini adds to the effect, too. A must try recipe!
- 2 1⁄2 cups zucchini (peeled and grated)
- 1 cup breadcrumbs (seasoned or plain)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onions or 1⁄4 cup red onion, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- canola oil or olive oil, for frying
- cayenne pepper (optional, for a little extra spice)
Directions See How It's Made
- Spread grated zucchini on a kitchen towel and roll up. Twist towel to wring out as much liquid as possible. If you fail to do this, your cakes will be too wet.
- In a large bowl, combine zucchini and butter. Stir in bread crumbs, onion, Old Bay, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Mix thoroughly to combine.
- Coat your hands in oil, and shape mixture into patties. Coat each patty in flour. In skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Fry patties until golden brown on both sides. (About 3-5 min per side).