Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
A different twist on bruschetta and a great use for your zucchini. Use smaller zucchinis for this, try your favourite cheese if you don't like swiss, and substitute different herbs if you don't want to use basil. A very adaptable recipe!
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups zucchini, peeled and diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup red onion, diced small (or white onion)
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped (or herb of your choice)
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 French baguette, sliced
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup swiss cheese, shredded
- Heat olive oil and butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Add zucchini, garlic and onions and stir for 2 to 5 minutes, until just softening. Remove from heat.
- Add basil, cayenne, mayo, and salt and pepper to taste and stir well.
- Preheat broiler.
- Top each baguette slice with 1 1/2 to 2 Tablespoons of zucchini mixture, then add shredded cheese to top.
- Broil until cheese is just bubbly.
- Yield will vary depending on how much topping and cheese is used on each slice of bread.
- Cooking time includes frying time.
I used cream cheese instead of mayo - everything else the same. I found it blah. Would not make again.
This was awesome. A great way to use the zucchini from the garden. I used mozz cheese & grilled these till the cheese was melted. Thanks. :)
This is was a great change from classic tomato bruschetta! Great way to eat zucchini. I never know what to do with zucchini... The taste is light and creamy. I used a mix of parmesan and cheddar cheese. I will keep this recipe. Thanks !