Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
These decadent brownies have a full-serving of vegetables plus plenty of vitamins and fiber thanks to the shredded zucchini mixed into the batter. Recipe is from a local magazine. The number of servings really depends on the size they are cut.
- 2 cups shredded zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 cup miniature chocolate chip
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees; grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Shred the zucchini into a large bowl of salted ice water.
- Let sit for 30 minutes; drain well.
- Mix butter and sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg and beat until smooth.
- Add drained zucchini.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder.
- Add the chocolate morsels and nuts, if desired.
- Fold wet and dry ingredients together until just blended.
- Pour into the prepared pan and even out with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting into squares.
These babies were very moist, yes, almost decadent. Although I have decided that I prefer them warm over room temperature. I didn't have the walnuts so I couldn't add them, but I think they would be a wonderful addition! Made for Newest Zaar tag. **Update, I made these on Sunday afternoon and by Wednesday morning they were moldy, maybe they should be stored in the fridge?
I think these are pretty easy and also very tasty! I made 2 batches, because when I seeded and chopped up my zucchini, I ended up with 4 cups worth. I also had a lonely banana on the cupboard, so I cut it in half and mashed it into each batch. I didnt have any chocolate chips, but I did have some Hershey's chocolate syrup so I drizzled it over the top before I baked it. In the 2nd batch, I added the last of a jar of peanut butter, maybe 1/3 of a cup. I think the chocolate peanut butter brownies are my favorite.
Still up to my ears in zucchini-- I made these again!! They were really good and moist. I only cooked them for 25 minutes.