Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My grandmother's recipe for vegan brownies. She says she gave them to a bunch of her friends, and none of them ever guessed that they were vegan. They must be good!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 2 cups peeled and grated zucchini
- Combine the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa in a bowl.
- Add the vanilla, oil, and zucchini and mix well.
- Bake in an ungreased 9 x 13 inches pan at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 30 minutes.
- NOTE: You can substitute the sugar for splenda or add a 1/2 cup of chopped nuts if you wish.
I've made these before and the batter doesn't get as crumbly if you mix all the dry ingredients except the sugar in one bowl.. and then all the wet ingredients, zucchini, and sugar in another. Let the zucchini/wet ingredient/sugar mixture sit for a couple minutes, and it will get syrupy like when you add sugar to strawberries. THEN combine the two. :) Makes all the difference in the world! I also put vegan dark chocolate chips on top of mine :)
Yummy....I served this to my boys and no one noticed. Very moist brownie. Thanks for a great recipe to use up those extra zucchini that are now overloading my garden.
These are further proof that you don't need eggs for great baked goods. I was a little concerned about the crumbliness of the batter (more like cookie dough), but once the zucchini was mixed in, everything came together. I finely shredded my zucchini and drained it to take some of the moisture out. The brownies came out perfect and super tasty!