Recipe by DailyInspiration
A nice twist on traditional breakfast casseroles that include meats. This flavorful vegetable casserole will please everyone.
- 6 -8 eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or other hot sauce)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups zucchini, grated (2-3 zucchini)
- 1 1⁄2 cups plum tomatoes, chopped (4-5 tomatoes)
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil, chiffonade
- 4 cups day-old bread, cubed
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add ricotta and beat until smooth. Mix in parmesan, tabasco, salt and pepper.
- Prepare zucchini, tomatoes and bread. Once you chop tomatoes, squeeze excess moisture out by pressing them in a sieve or wrapping in paper towels and squeezing. Add tomatoes, basil, and zucchini to egg mixture. Moisten bread cubes with a little water; then squeeze out any excess moisture using paper towels. Mix bread into egg mixture.
- Coat the bottom and sides of a 9 x 13 baking dish generously with olive oil. Pour egg/vegetable mixture into baking dish and even it out. Place casserole in the middle rack of oven and bake for 30 minutes. The casserole should puff up and brown lightly. If it isn't done after 30 minutes, increase oven temp to 400 degrees for 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.