Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
I came up with this recipe when I was having a hard time trying to find something on the healthier side that really worked. This may be it, but I am looking forward to hearing feedback on suggestions to improve it even further.
- 2 -3 cups zucchini (shredded)
- 3⁄4 cup Egg Beaters egg substitute (the one with yolk)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Splenda granular
- 1 1⁄2 cups applesauce (no sugar added Mott's brand is good)
- 2 cups flour (1 cup whole wheat & 1 cup white whole wheat)
- 2 tablespoons wheat gluten flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (or more if you really want the cinnamon to stand out)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup walnuts (chopped and optional)
- Pam cooking spray (for baking)
- Shred zucchini and squeeze in paper towels to remove excess liquid.
- In a large bowl mix the zucchini, eggs, applesauce and vanilla (stir by hand).
- In another large bowl mix together the flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and then sift together at least twice if not three times. Add the walnuts at this point.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients while adding the splenda in this step. Incorporate only until the mixture is wet.
- Spray large loaf pan with Pam for Baking and spread mixture into pan.
- Bake at 350°F for 55-75 minutes; checking periodically by sticking a knife into the center.
- When knife comes out clean, remove from oven.
- Let sit in pan for about 15 minutes and then remove from pan and allow to cool on a wire rack. Store in a large zip lock bag and keep in fridge for freshness.
Made this to share, along with other finger foods, with a group I host, & they were pleasantly surprised when they saw the nutritional info since I'd set out the recipe as well! I included homemade applesauce & did increase the amount of cinnamon just a little! A VERY NICE TASTING BREAD! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick A Chef]