Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
A hearty vegetarian main dish that uses my favorite zucchini and fresh herbs.
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped roasted red sweet pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 5 cups sourdough bread or 5 cups Italian bread, 1 inch cubes
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted pecans
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups half-and-half or 2 cups light cream
- salt and pepper
- In a large frypan, saute and stir the zucchini and corn in hot oil for 3 minutes.
- Add in roasted pepper, garlic, basil, parsley, and sage; stir and cook for 2 minutes or until zucchini is tender.
- Add in bread cubes; stir.
- Place half of the mixture in a greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese.
- Place remaining zucchini mixture over the cheese layer; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Sprinkle with pecans.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs; add half-and-half, salt and pepper; stir to mix.
- Pour over bread mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35 minutes or until a knife comes out clean.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.
Great recipe! I doubled the amout of fresh herbs and used pepper jack cheese-more of that amout too! Thanks :O)
This stuff is great! I felt like it was just as good reheated the next day. (My husband actually liked it better that way)
Very good vegetarian supper dish that we enjoyed and is a great way to use up leftover bread, garden zucchini and herbs. We served this with Good for Health: A bowl of Corn and Pepper Veggie Salad Caramel Ice Cream and Nisu Bread Nisu Bread (Finnish Sweet Bread) -(ABM) for a very filling supper. Thanks NurseDi for another winning recipe!