Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Rich and desert-like. A sneaky way to eat a vegetable and you will never know it because it is so good also easy to make.
- 1 cup margarine, melted (two sticks 70% fat)
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla, liquid
- 1 teaspoon cardamom
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups zucchini, grated squash seeds and rind
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- The margarine has to be the old style 70% fat good for baking type or can use 1 stick of butter and something else, but need non-butter to grease the pan (Crisco or something).
- Mix all together. Grease and flour the pan. Dump in pan and cook 50 minutes approximately.
- I like to use 11 1/2 inch black cast iron pan, but can use gift pans or loaf pans (I would use two).
- Can use zucchini that you grated, measured and froze in bags to make in winter.
- It would be nice to use part whole wheat flour' if so, then partial brown sugar. I can add grated nuts, especially pecans. You can increase cardamom and use real butter for one of the sticks of shortening. It is really nice to use the best vanilla--the really good Mexican vanilla.
I made this bread in two medium-size loaves & that seemed to work well for me! Pretty much followed your recipe, too, & 3 of us here consumed one loaf, while the other was gifted to a neighbor & loves this kind of bread! Makes for a top notch zucchini treat! [Made & reviewed fo rone of my adopted chefs in the current Pick A Chef]