Recipe by MarieRynr
This is a great recipe that I got in my e-mail from my Clabbergirl newsletter for zucchini bread and some wonderful variations. I love the pineapple variation.
Top Review by maggie Weinand
The dough is very dry so I added a little more zucchini. I also used 3/4 cup splenda and 1/4 cup sugar. Finally, who can wait until the next day to try it?!! Very tasty warm from the oven.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup finely shredded unpeeled zucchini
- 1⁄4 cup cooking oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease an 8x4x2-inch loaf pan.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, baking powder, and nutmeg.
- Make a well in the center.
- In another medium mixing bowl combine the egg, shredded zucchini, cooking oil, and lemon peel.
- Add to the flour mixture all at once.
- Stir just till moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- Fold in chopped walnuts.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350° oven for 55 to 60 minutes or till a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool bread in the pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove bread from the pan and completely cool on the wire rack.
- Wrap and store overnight before slicing.
- Makes 1 loaf (16 servings).
- Apple Bread: Prepare as directed above, except substitute 1 cup finely shredded peeled apple for the shredded zucchini.
- Carrot and Pineapple Bread: Prepare as directed above, except omit zucchini.
- Drain one 8 1/4-ounce can crushed pineapple (juice pack), reserving 2 tablespoons juice.
- Stir drained pineapple, reserved juice, and 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot into egg mixture.