My ex-wife found the original version or this recipe in some magazine about 25 years ago, and I have always loved it
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup peanut oil or 1 cup canola oil
- 3 cups raw zucchini, grated and squeezed between paper towels to remove moisture (measure after squeezing)
- 1 carrot, finely grated,for a little color contrast (optional)
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- Grease two 5"x9" baking pans; line bottom with greased waxed paper, flour lightly, and set aside.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, zucchini, and carrot, and mix well.
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix thoroughly.
- Pour into greased baking pans, each half full.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 45-60 minutes, probably closer to the 60 minute range.
- Let cool in baking pan for five minutes before turning out onto wire rack.
- Cool on rack before wrapping.