Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very nutrient dense and yet flavorful bran/flax muffin. Moist, dense, and delicious. High in fiber, omega 3's, lignans, B vitamins, potassium, etc. Enjoy!
- 3⁄4 cup oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup egg white
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup oat bran
- 1 1⁄2 cups flax seed meal (I prefer golden flax)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 4 2⁄3 cups zucchini, shredded (or carrots)
- 1 cup walnuts, broken in small pieces
- Cream together oil, molasses, and sugar.
- Slowly beat in vanilla and eggs, then applesauce.
- In a speparate bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add to the oil-sugar mixture, stirring to combine.
- Add zucchini (or carrots) and walnuts.
- Pour into greased oversixzed muffin tins. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes.