Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Unlike most Zucchini Boat recipes, these don't include meat, so they are a good option for vegetarians. They have a nice Italian flavor and are a bit more healthy due to the use of the reduced-fat cheeses. From the cookbook "I'll Cook When Pigs Fly."
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- boiling water
- 1 cup cooked chopped spinach
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cups cooked white rice or 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 2 cups low-fat ricotta cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 (8 inch) zucchini
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3⁄4 cup coarsely grated reduced-fat mozzarella cheese
- Blanch onion in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and cool.
- Combine onion, spinach, oregano, rice, ricotta cheese, salt and pepper, mixing well. Set aside.
- Cut ends from zucchini, then cut lengthwise in halves and remove seeds. Place, cut side down on baking sheet that is lightly prepared with vegetable cooking spray. Bake at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes, or just until squash is tender.
- Mound equal portions of spinach filling in each zucchini. Bake for 10 minutes. Spoon 2-3 T tomato sauce on each and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake for additional 5 minutes.