Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
Fresh zucchini stuffed with your favorite ingredients and finished on the barbecue grill. Great side dish or as a light meal on their own. When I make these I never measure the ingredients, I just make it look "right".
- 2 medium zucchini
- 1 slice white bread, torn into small pieces
- 1⁄4 cup bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon black olives, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 3 tablespoons green chili peppers, diced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 1⁄4 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 6 tablespoons sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 pinch dried basil
- seasoning salt, to taste
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Prepare the grill for indirect heat.
- Place the zucchini in a pot with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook 5 - 10 minutes. Drain, cool, and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out the pulp to about 1/4 inch from the skin. Chop pulp.
- In a bowl, mix the zucchini pulp with all of the other ingredients.
- Stuff the zucchini halves with the pulp mixture.
- Seal each zucchini half in aluminum foil. Place the foil packets on the prepared grill over indirect heat. Cook 15 - 25 minutes (depending on the size of your zucchini.).
- Use your imagination, you could "clean-out-the-fridge" and make endless combinations of stuffed zucchini!
This recipe was so delicious, I'm still thinking about it. My whole family is still raving about it. I doubled everything as there are 4 of us. I used bacon, tomato, black olives, onion, jalapenas and sharp cheddar. Our grill is small and I was grilling pork chops so I cooked these as follows: Boiled as directed for 7 minutes. Cooled, scooped out pulp. Placed on foil lined baking sheet, filled with mixture. Put oven on 450 degrees, baked until starting to sizzle, turned broiler on just a few minutes to braize! Amazing!j You won't be disappointed.