Recipe by Dib's
A good way to clear out the zucchini glut. You can stuff with a taco mixture or change the squash to yellow.
Top Review by Rachie P
This was yummy, but I felt the zuke itself needed a little something more...next time (Oh there is SO gonna be a next time!) I will brush it w/olive oil and then sprinkle with sea salt. I used fresh chopped garden tomatoes in lieu of the canned, and thus needed at least half the can of tomato paste to thicken it up. Also I used Italian Seasoning and oregano in place of the herbs. I used mozzarella to make it more ITalian. Served w/wine and garlic bread it was a great Italian dinner!
- 6 medium zucchini
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 (1 lb) can diced tomato
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon herbes de provence
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash and cut zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out seeds leaving at least a 1/4 inch thick shell.
- In a frying pan over medium heat brown the ground beef.
- Drain off fat and add the onion and garlic, cooking for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes with juice, wine, tomato paste, salt and herb mix.
- Simmer uncovered for around 15 minutes-you want the sauce to thicken up.
- Arrange"boats" in a shallow, oiled baking dish and stuff with meat mixture.
- Bake at 400 for 25 minutes, top with cheese and continue cooking for another 15 minutes.