PSU Lioness's Note:
I found this on Readyseteat.com and made it for dinner one night. My husband loved it so much that he said (and I quote), "I think I could eat that for dinner every week!" I changed a few things from the original, but the changes were very enthusiastically received.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into coins and quartered
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into coins and quartered
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with onion and garlic (Del Monte makes them)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package instructions (need 2 cups of cooked rice, total)
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1Cook turkey in large skillet over Medium heat until no longer pink; crumble and drain.
- 2Add zucchini, squash and onion; cook until onion is tender (about 5 minutes). Reduce heat to Medium-Low.
- 3Drain juices from tomatoes into the skillet. Add black beans and stir.
- 4Place tomatoes on cutting board and chop until they are finely diced; add to skillet and stir. Increase heat to Medium again.
- 5Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tomatoes start to break down.
- 6Stir in cooked rice.
- 7Sprinkle with cheese, cover and allow cheese to melt before serving.
Browse Our Top Poultry Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini, Beef & Rice Skillet
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 362.6
- Calories from Fat 103
- Total Fat 11.4 g
- Saturated Fat 4.5 g
- Cholesterol 64.7 mg
- Sodium 127.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
tomatoes with onion and garlic