Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this on Readyseteat.com and made it for dinner one night. My husband loved it so much that he said (and I quote), "I think I could eat that for dinner every week!" I changed a few things from the original, but the changes were very enthusiastically received.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (or lean ground beef)
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into coins and quartered
- 1 medium yellow squash, cut into coins and quartered
- 1⁄2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) candiced tomatoes with onion and garlic (Del Monte makes them)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup brown rice, cooked according to package instructions (need 2 cups of cooked rice, total)
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese, shredded
- Cook turkey in large skillet over Medium heat until no longer pink; crumble and drain.
- Add zucchini, squash and onion; cook until onion is tender (about 5 minutes). Reduce heat to Medium-Low.
- Drain juices from tomatoes into the skillet. Add black beans and stir.
- Place tomatoes on cutting board and chop until they are finely diced; add to skillet and stir. Increase heat to Medium again.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes or until tomatoes start to break down.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and allow cheese to melt before serving.