Recipe by JoiD
Serve this as a complete one dish meal or as a side dish. This is delicious!
Top Review by Darkhunter
This was very good "comfort food." Only ingredient change was minced garlic instead of garlic salt; thought there would be enough with the tomato sauce. And there was! The one zucchini I used was just a smidge less than two pounds, so I sliced into large matchsticks. Turned out very well. Directions nice and clear and no "funny" ingredient to scratch your head about! LOL. Thnx for posting, Joi. Made for Fall 2008 My-3-Chefs.
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1⁄2-1 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 lbs zucchini
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- freshly grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Sauté ground sirloin& onion in skillet until the meat is finely crumbled& browned& onion is tender.
- Drain off& discard grease.
- Stir in next 6 ingredients.
- Cover& simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, wash zucchini& trim off ends.
- Cook zucchini whole in boiling, salted water for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp-tender.
- Drain& cool.
- *Cutthe zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Arrange zucchini in a single layer, cut side up, in a buttered shallow baking dish.
- Pour sauce over zucchini and top with mozzarella& bake for 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle with freshly ground Parmesan cheese& serve.
- *Note: may also cut zucchini in rounds.