Recipe by dicentra
From Just Hungry - They adapted it from Bernard Clayton's New Complete Book of Breads,
Top Review by AmyCooks
These were delicious! I've been looking for new zucchini ideas since we have an excess coming form our garden this year. These were featured in the seasonal slideshow and looked like a fun alternative to sweet zucchini bread/muffins. I made the recipe exactly as written, just halved for 12 muffins, and they turned out perfectly. (Okay, I may have used a little extra cheese.) The inside was moist, outside crisp, and they didn't stick to the muffin tin at all. I was afraid the quantity of sugar would make them too sweet, but it was perfect.
- 2 large eggs
- 3⁄4 cup whole milk
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned fresh basil leaves
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese (or similar hard grating) or 1⁄2 cup grana padano (or similar hard grating)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/425°F
- Grease muffin tins.
- Combine the eggs, milk and oil in a large bowl. Combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in another bowl and add to the liquid mixture in batches, stirring to blend. Don't overblend!
- Add the zucchini and basil and stir to blend.
- Fill each muffin cup about 1/2 full. Sprinkle the top with the cheese.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes for regular size muffins, 15-20 minutes for the mini muffins, until the tops are golden brown and puffy.
- Serve while still warm.