1/1 Photo of Zucchini Base Aka Z B for Cakes, Cookies, & Pie
This is a versatile, old time favorite recipe of mine, probably from the 1950s, which utilizes your summer bounty of zucchini in several different ways. The "zucchini base" recipe can be used to make other dishes such as: lunch cake, cookies, and pie (see Z B Lunch Cake or Z B Pie or Z B Cookies). This recipe makes 3 quarts of base; the cake uses 1 cup of ZB, the cookies use 1 cup, and the pie uses 2 cups. I believe this recipe originally came from the Pasadena Star News.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Prepare hot, sterilized jars for canning: either 6 pints or 3 quarts. Set aside.
- 2Over medium heat in a large pot combine all ingredients.
- 3Bring to a bubbling boil, stirring occasionally, and skim off foam.
- 4Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes more.
- 5Pour immediately into prepared hot sterile jars and seal. (If you want to prepare them in a boiling water bath instead, process for 15 minutes.).
- 6Note: preparation time includes cooking/mashing of the precooked zucchini.
- 7The RecipeZaar page for the lunch cake, cookies, and pie is at: http://www.recipezaar.com/Z-B-Lunch-Cake-or-Z-B-Pie-or-Z-B-Cookies-327672.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Base Aka Z B for Cakes, Cookies, & Pie
Serving Size: 1 (2476 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1214.0
- Calories from Fat 22
- Total Fat 2.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2422.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 307.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 271.7 g
- Protein 6.4 g