Recipe by Karen Shields
you won't believe it isn't apple filling! A great new way to use those giant zucchini in the garden.
Top Review by CCPontiac
This was really tasty, though I did not make it as a "cookie." I made it as a crisp, minus the bottom crust, and served it in bowls with ice cream or half & half. My husband went nuts for it, and insists that I make another batch with the one remaining giant zucchini sitting in the kitchen. :) Making it as a dessert rather than bars reduced the amount of butter, sugar and flour (and calories), as well as simplified the process. I mixed 1/2 cup margarine, 1 1/3 cups flour and 1 cup sugar w/ a pastry cutter for the topping, added 1/2 cup to thicken the zucchini mixture as directed, and then added about 1/2 cup chopped walnuts along w/ the cinnamon to the portion remaining. I cooked the zucchini as directed (used about 9 cups, cooked in 1 cup lemon juice), except subbed 1/2 cup Splenda for half of the sugar. When thickened, I poured it into a 9 x 13 pan sprayed w/ Pam, added the topping, sprinkled it w/ more nutmeg, and baked @ 350 for an hour. Really tasty, and seemed to be better still the next day. Thanks for a great way to use those garden giants!!! lol
- 6 -8 cups zucchini, peeled, cubed with seeds removed
- 2⁄3 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 4 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups margarine (3 cubes)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook zucchini in lemon juice until tender, use often.
- Add 1 cup sugar, nutmeg and 1 teaspoon cinnamon and vanilla and let simmer for two minutes.
- While zucchini cooks, combine the flour, 2 cups sugar, salt and margarine in a large bowl and mix well.
- Add 1/2 cup of the crumb mixture to the zucchini to thicken, stir well, turn off the heat after thick.
- Pat 1/2 of the remaining crumb mixture into a greased 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake at 375°Fs for 10 minutes.
- Spread zucchini evenly over the crust.
- Add 1 teaspoon cinnamon to the remaining crumb mixture and spread over the top of the zucchini.
- Bake at 375°F for 30-40 minutes, until bubbling around the crust.
- Let cool before cutting into bars. Can be warmed up in microwave and top with ice cream.