Recipe by Dee514
These can be served for dinner, in place of meatballs, with pasta and marinara (meatless tomato) sauce which is the way I usually serve them. They can also be served as an appetizer, with sauce on the side for dipping.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 4 -6 small zucchini, grated
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs, plus
- 2 egg whites
- fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 16 -20 ounces marinara sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Form mixture into small balls (about 1 rounded tablespoon each).
- Place on cookie sheet and flatten slightly, bake for 15 minutes on each side at 350°F.
- Add balls to a marinara sauce and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Check during simmering to see if more sauce needs to be added.
- Serve with pasta and sauce.
- **NOTE: If you are going to substitute large zucchini for the small ones called for in the recipe, you should squeeze the grated zucchini dry before adding the rest of the ingredients. Large zucchinis contain much more water than small ones, and may cause the mixture to be too wet to hold together.