1/2 Photos of Zucchini Baked Ziti
1 hr 15 mins
This baked ziti is absolutely delicious and whenever I make people come back for thirds! Since it is a bit involved for me, I usually make one to bake immediately and freeze another pan to cook later, so this recipe makes two pans. Fresh basil is essential to get the right flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 large zucchini
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lb ziti pasta or 1 lb penne
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes (if whole, slice before cooking)
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, in strips
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 1/2 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1Boil water and cook the ziti according to package directions.
- 2While it is cooking, follow next steps.
- 3When it is done, drain and set aside in large bowl (or pot).
- 4Slice the zucchini.
- 5In a skillet, heat 1/4 cup olive oil and fry the zucchini until browned on both sides.
- 6Take them out of the pan and drain on paper towels.
- 7In a saucepan, heat the remaining 1/4 cup oil.
- 8Add the onion and cook until translucent.
- 9Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- 10Add the tomatoes, basil, parsley, salt and pepper.
- 11Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- 12Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 13Pour into large bowl with the drained ziti.
- 14Rub two shallow baking pans with olive oil.
- 15In the first pan, put 1/4 of the ziti, then 1/4 of the zucchini.
- 16Dot with butter, add 1/4 of the mozzarella and then 1/4 of the Parmesan.
- 17Repeat the layers in that pan.
- 18Repeat above steps for second pan.
- 19Bake pans in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes until the top is brown and crusty.
- 20OR BAKE ONE, FREEZE ONE!
- 21OR FREEZE BOTH: Cover the other pan tightly with aluminum foil and freeze.
- 22Defrost before baking.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Zucchini Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (457 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 590.0
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 48.3 mg
- Sodium 494.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 22.9 g