Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yummy zucchini casserole with no "cream of anything" soups. Found this in a newspaper clipping, originally credited to Phyllis Ambrose.
- 6 small zucchini, cut iinto 1/2 inch thick slices
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (4 oz)
- 2⁄3 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook the zucchini in a small amount of boiling water in a large saucepan for 6 minutes or until tender; drain well. Place the zucchini in a 1 1/2 quart greased casserole; set aside.
- Combine the cheddar cheese, sour cream, butter, and salt in a small saucepan; cook over medium-low heat until the cheese melts, stirring constantly. Pour the cheese sauce over the reserved zucchini.
- Combine the breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes or until lightly browned.
We absolutely love zucchini and this dish was so delicious. I decided to steam the zucchini, but otherwise made as directed. Will definitely make this dish again. Made for the For Your Consideration tag game.
This was a delicious side dish for the grilled steak I had for dinner today. I steamed the zucchini instead of par boiling it, and used low fat sour cream instead of full fat. Got great reviews from the vege eaters in my family!
Very, very easy and tasty side dish to make. The best part was that I had everything on hand. It couldn't be any simpler to make with those few ingredients. It was a nice side our our pork tenderloin the other night. I can't think of anything I would change on this (except maybe a dash of pepper for good measure). Thank you for posting your recipe. It is saved. (Made for PRMR)