A quick, savory side dish that includes veggies and starch in one with enough bacon and cheese that it may make a meat unnecessary. Its healthier cooked in olive oil but if you want to indulge substitute bacon grease. Prep time does not include cooking the bacon.
- 1 lb rotini pasta or 1 lb bow tie pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1 -2 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 -4 zucchini (~8 inch) or 2 zucchini and 2 yellow squash, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup shredded asiago cheese, divided
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a very large skillet (I like to use my cast iron chicken fryer), and begin to saute onion on medium-high heat.
- When onion is half cooked add squash and saute, stirring frequently until onion is browned and squash is nearly cooked.
- Add bacon, Parmesan, and black pepper. Cover and let rest 3-5 minutes to soften cheese.
- Toss with hot pasta and 1/4 cup Asiago cheese. Turn into serving dish. Top with remaining Asiago Cheese.